Mount Korbu Mount Gayong





My KORGA hike was the closing chapter for all the G7 mountains in my list. I did this hike a day after I completed my Mount Chamah & Ulu Sepat (CUS) trip, and as you can imagine I was so exhausted and was so close to cancelling Korga (Organized by Southern Eagle Adventure), but I decided to go through with it instead, packed up and went.

Ika tagged along on this trip. This would have been her first G7 (twin peaks at that!) #toughlove
So we met up at LRT Gombak, and took off with the rest of the crew, hiking guides Bob & Fadil, and fellow hikers Diana, Fitri, Irfan, & Sham

*Day 1*
We went off to Jabatan Hutan Ulu Kinta to declare our belongings and fill out forms. We proceeded to the trailhead and met up with the rest of the hikers.
The climb was not too hard, with a lot of river crossings, and the usual mix of uphill/downhill slopes before reaching 'Air Terjun Balak'. 
We stopped there for a break and lunch before continuing to Seroja camp.
When we reached Seroja camp, it started drizzling, but we continued to hike towards Kijang camp. It was still raining by the time we set up tent to stay for the night.
Once the rain stopped, we had our guides prepare our dinner. It was a simple dish consisting of rice, veges and chicken, and we went to bed shortly after dinner.
During the course of the night, I developed stomach cramps which developed into diarrhoea at around 3 am (what fun). Long story short, I had to suffer for the rest of the hike to the peak.
Withouts meds, we started the hike at 7.00am to the last waterpoint and continued onwards towards check point Chuban. The terrain was steep, cold, muddy and absolutely unforgiving. Not to mention the countless ropes and ladders that adorn the many slopes of doom. All this while I had diarrhoea. Bummer. (I did pop some meds later on)

*Day 2*
We reached Korbu's peak at around 1.30pm, and set up tent for the 2nd night. I was gradually recovering from my bout of angry bowels. We had lunch and took a break for about an hour, and we continued the hike up towards Mount Gayong peak which normally takes around 2 hours.

Because I was recovering from my bout, I started my journey a little later at 6.00pm. But once I got my energy back, I made a run for it! I dashed through the hauntingly beautiful mossy forest, eeriely silent in bearing witness to our restless endeavors towards it's peak. 
It's moments like these that make me love hiking and mountains.
On the way I made a brief stop to view the setting sun. The beaming rays of red and orange hues spread out brightly amongst the clouds, and I stood in awe of its majesty. I reached Gayung peak around 7ish. After taking some pics, I proceeded to head back to Korbu peak where I spent the night. (Note: it was chilly!)

*Day 3*
We packed up and started the hike down to Seroja camp, we were all slightly grumpy (due to the cold and wet weather) but it was nice to bump into some friends along the way there. When we reached Seroja camp it was packed. 
We stayed for another nite and celebrated Ika's birthday with coffee n oreos. But her ultimate birthday gift were twin G7 peaks!

*Day 4*
We awoke early, had breakfast and headed out to the trail head. Stopped at 'Air Terjun Balak, had lunch and finally had a proper bath there. 
We reached at the car park around 4.00pm
and headed back to KL straight after.

Personally I felt that this hike ended with bitter sweet memories. My mind and body were pushed to the limits, but I did bring back with me a deep sense of satisfaction.
I may have been suffering from the pain, fatigue, and cold (and even diarrhoea), and not to mention at that time I had not recovered from my CUS hike, 
but I was happy that I didn't give up and managed to complete my goals.
All blessings to Allah for giving me and my mates the strength, courage and protection throughout these difficult hikes. KORGA, till we meet again, Insyaallah. 
END

At Pejabat Hutan Ulu Kinta 

Group photo before hike starts

Guides Bob (center) and Fadhil 

The famous Air Terjun Balak

Seroja Camp

Wet and cold night at Kijang Camp

Check point: Last Water Point

Botak Peak false peak

Countless ladders all the way up to Korbu peak

Chuban peak false peak

To  Korbu Peak

To Gayong peak

Breathtaking view



Gayong peak

This is my tent atop Korbu peak
One for the album! Group photo

 Balak waterfalls The water is crystal clear and dipping in it is truly rejuvenating for the soul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRANS BATU PUTIH

Mount Chemerong, Mount Berembun, Mount Langsir July 2018

Mount Mat Chinchang / Gunung Mat Chinchang